Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:08:30 -0500

Now I'm pretty well convinced that we can replace the * convention with
defcustom.  Does anyone want to argue against that?

If we do this, then for compatibility's sake, we should do something in
defvar so that variables defined with defvar and using a * in the doc
string become customizable.

    It is an entirely different interface.

      (defalias 'set-variable 'customize-set-variable)

    or

      (defalias 'set-variable 'customize-set-value)

    would make sense though.  The difference is that the first uses the
    :set function, the later doesn't.

If we do something like this, I think we would want to use the :set
function, since that's the main reason for proposing such a change.

Does anyone see a reason not to make set-variable
equivalent to customize-set-variable?