Re: The display margin

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: The display margin
Date: 28 Nov 2003 00:08:36 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> The click information for GNU Emacs is quite insufficient, anyway.
> XEmacs, as far as I can remember, can tell from an event what object
> has been clicked on and what pixel relative to the object's origin
> has been hit.

I have just added this information to mouse clicks and two functions to
access it:

Function `posn-object' returns the object clicked on, either an image
or a cons (string . pos), or nil if there is nothing special at the
place where you click the mouse (use posn-point to look at that).

Function `posn-object-x-y' return a cons (dx . dy) which is the pixel
coordinates relative to the top left corner of the object (image or
character) that you click on.

In addition, the mouse cursor now changes to an arrow (rather than the
text mouse cursor) when it hoovers above an image.

Finally, when you use a block cursor, images are no longer shown in
"negative" when your window cursor is a filled block cursor (only the
border of the image is highlighted now).  So clicking on an image no
longer makes it "unreadable"...

> I digress.  Anyway, I want more information from clicks.  At the
> very least, the object they appeared on.

What more do you want ?