Re: The display margin

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The display margin
Date: 28 Nov 2003 17:02:31 +0100

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    Actually, given that we now have a pixel-accurate position within
>    the object (maybe this is generalizable in some manner also for
>    text?), it would be nice having a way of knowing the
>    pixel-accurate size of a displayed object in the first place so
>    that one can calculate the relative position in the image easily,
>    too.
>
> it is difficult to generalize this to text because the same text can
> be presented differently depending on font, overlays, display
> properties and probably many other influences i can't think of at
> the moment.  a specific query (mouse click) can yield a specific
> answer but such info is not inherently in the text (anymore).

Well, it was just an idea.

> w/ images it's easy of course.

Is it?  What if the image type is PostScript or some other scalable
format, and the buffer is displayed on two frames on two different
displays with different resolutions?  Ok, I guess the answer is "this
will break Emacs", anyway.

Questions like that need the concerned window to be answerable, I
guess.