Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:54:51 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Also, I believe that if it is legitimate,

I don't see it as black and white.  I see it as better that a user
option is declared with defcustom than with defvar, even if the "var"
to "custom" is the only change.

And I don't really see it is as a case where "legitimate" is proper
word to use.  Nothing breaks if the option is in no group.  And nobody
benefits from having the option in a poorly chosen group, it may even
be noise to users of that group.  Emacs is way to big to find anything
by browsing all customization groups.

So I think we should recommend people to use defcustom for user
options, and recommend them to put these options somewhere in the
customize group hierarchy where they will be likely be found by those
looking for it, and not be noise for those not interested.

It's an area for good judgement, not technical rules.

I don't know what the idea was behind trying to "guess" a
customization group, so I won't comment on that.