Re: eight-bit char handling in emacs-unicode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: eight-bit char handling in emacs-unicode
Date: 01 Dec 2003 11:26:39 -0500

>     But what kind of elisp are you thinking of which is only going to be used
>     for latin-1-like environments but not utf-8

> Those thoughts are yours, not mine.  This is not the way to convince
> me that a function should be deleted.

Maybe I was too terse, so let's try again:

You said "I'm talking about handling keyboard input.  If it was handled and
accumulated as multibyte, but then you want to get the result that you'd
have got if it had been inserted in a unibyte buffer, the existing
string-make-unibyte seems to be the right thing to convert."

So you seem to be thinking about a piece of elisp (or maybe C) that will
call string-make-unibyte, but I'm wondering which piece of code you're
thinking of, because this piece of code will work if your keyboard uses
latin-1 encoding, but not if it uses utf-8 encoding.
Also I'm wondering why this piece of code needs to use string-make-unibyte,
instead of encode-coding-string (the only good reason I can think of is
that the coding-system to use is not immediately apparent.  This seems
odd if the code is only supposed to be used in latin-1 environments but not
in utf-8 environments).

        Stefan