Re: HTML as info format

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: HTML as info format
Date: 02 Dec 2003 09:08:10 +0200

[I have no idea why mailman sent me this message from 2 weeks ago.]

I think you miss the @anchor directive, introduced in Texinfo 4.x.

> The same problem appears in the Glossary node of the Emacs manual,
> where links to the same node are marked by the "(q.v.)".

Arguably, we could modify the Glossary by using anchors in the online
formats.

> There are other problems with the current Info format.  For example,
> currently there is no way to hide the address part of the link without
> corrupting the paragraph formatting.

IMHO, the current way to hide the address of the link is still
experimental and needs further work.

> After hiding the address part of
> the link lines become either too short or too long.  For example, lines:
>
>    See *Note Customizing Indentation: (ccmode)Customizing Indentation, for
> more information on customizing indentation for C and related modes,
>
> in Info the first line becomes too short:
>
>    See Customizing Indentation for
> more information on customizing indentation for C and related modes,

Doing this in some other way, like physically erasing the text we now
hide and then re-filling the paragraph, would solve this.  In any
case, this problem is not relevant to Info format per se, it is due to
the way the Emacs Info reader renders an Info document.