Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 02:33:55 -0500

       But maybe if we add one lock per buffer and we make
       `with-current-buffer' acquire&release the lock we might get a
       workable model, albeit with a necessarily very coarse grain ....

A lock on with-current-buffer can't really solve the problem,
because only a few of the functions that modify a buffer
use with-current-buffer.

However, perhaps you're thinking of allowing a few specially-designated
asynchronous threads, each of which would edit only its own buffer or buffers
so that they won't get in each others' way, that might work if the code
that runs in these specially-designated threads is specially written to
be safe in such a thread.

That might be a workable idea.

In other words, there would be one thread that has full capability to run
anything, including old unmodified code, and any number of other threads
that run only specially-designed thread-safe code.  This approach
MIGHT be workable.  The devil is in the details, so someone would
probably have to study them.