Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:38:42 -0500

Thank you for the concise and clear summary, Luc.

As far as the general issue goes, as I've said before, I completely
agree that building a new Texinfo-XML reader inside Emacs is a better
approach than attempting to remedy the deficiencies of Info format on
bitmapped displayed by kludges on top of the existing Info format.

For example, reformatting paragraphs, hiding note references, printing
different markup in different colors, and all the rest (let alone
putting @ifinfo into the source).

Although I totally appreciate all the efforts to bring Info into the
world of bitmapped displays, doing it through Info format just does not
seem viable to me.  That is not what Info was designed for, or what it
is good at.

And, I think we all agree that Info format as it currently stands needs
to coexist with whatever new reader/technology is built, in a compatible
way.  There are almost 20 years of Info installations out there, we
cannot render :) them useless in new versions of the software.

Regards,