Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: 05 Dec 2003 10:49:19 +0100

>     5. Emacs will still need to be able to handle .info files, if no XML
>        file is available, but certainly if we produce XML files from the
>        .texi files, that case becomes marginal enough that we should not
>        waste a lot of energy trying to do the impossible by attempting to
>        present .info files in "nicer" ways than theoretically possible.

In practice, you could also go another route -- and let makeinfo
produce two files, a .info and a .markup file.  The .info file will be
identical to what we have today, while the .markup file will contain a
simple list of "tagging info" for the .info file, which reflects what
@-commands were used to produce each part of the .info file.

something like

@code 341 345
@xref 359 371 378 389    (list each section in the *Note .... output)
@* 459
@page 1033

etc.

i.e. something which a reader (like emacs' info reader) can use
more or less directly to propertize the .info file.