Re: Info enhancements

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:09:03 +0200

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:
> For instance:
>
> * Writing index entries:                 Indexing Commands.  (line 1)
> * xdvi:                                  Output Formats.  (line 99)
>
> It is not especially beautiful, but it is 100% compatible, and gets the
> job done.

Yes, it is not beautiful.  It is ugly.  The information about line
numbers is useless for users.  Certainly we shouldn't overburden users
with purely technical information.  Moreover, it don't solve the
problem of using index entries in cross-references.  For instance:

     This function looks up the target in *Note
     file-coding-system-alist: Default Coding Systems, *Note
     process-coding-system-alist: Default Coding Systems, or
     *Note network-coding-system-alist: Default Coding Systems,
     depending on OPERATION.

These cross-references refer to variables indexed by the @vindex
command, but there is no place for line numbers here.  So, I urge you
to find a better solution.  If placing this information in the tag
table will break older version (though this should be verified yet),
then we should try to find another safe place in Info files (e.g. some
unreachable Info node).  Do you know such a place?

--
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/