Re: Info enhancements

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:02:14 -0600 (CST)

Juri Linkov wrote:

        This function looks up the target in *Note
        file-coding-system-alist: Default Coding Systems, *Note
        process-coding-system-alist: Default Coding Systems, or
        *Note network-coding-system-alist: Default Coding Systems,
        depending on OPERATION.

I will soon commit several changes to (elisp)Non-ASCII Characters.  I
personally believe the xref you are referring to got into
`(elisp)Default Coding Systems' by mistake.  I originally just erased
it.  I am reluctant to do that now since it is used as the prime
example in this thread and with your feature, it might make sense in
Info.  As Eli pointed out, the above is the result of non-standard
Texinfo usage and looks weird.  The xref still makes no sense in the
printed version, since it refers to the beginning of the same section.

I currently have:

===File ~/refs1=============================================
This function looks up the target in @code{file-coding-system-alist},
@code{process-coding-system-alist}, or
@code{network-coding-system-alist}, depending on @var{operation}.
@ifinfo
@ifnotplaintext
@xref{Default Coding Systems, file-coding-system-alist}.
@end ifnotplaintext
@end ifinfo

Do you really need those _three_ xrefs?  The three alists are
described in succession starting with `file-coding-system-alist'.  I
am even still not completely sure that we really need any xref here,
since the descriptions are right above, but it certainly makes more
sense with your feature than without it.  It is, of course, trivial to
add the other two xrefs, should this be considered desirable.

Sincerely,

Luc.