Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: 06 Dec 2003 00:08:14 +0100

address@hidden (Karl Berry) writes:

>     @code 341 345
>     @xref 359 371 378 389    (list each section in the *Note .... output)
>
> I suppose it could be done, but
> (1) I see no advantage over the XML output;

IMO it would be much easier to utilize in emacs' info reader.  It could be
mapped almost 1:1 to suitable text properties, or set boundaries for text
refilling.

> (2) It seems significantly harder to read, write, and debug than XML; and

Are you serious?

Parsing -- and using -- free-form, inline XML in emacs would be 10
times harder than my simple, "overlay" format.

> (3) the XML output is already there.  This would require significant new
>     effort in makeinfo, without adding commensurate value.

If XML is already there, then why do we discuss this issue at all?

a) isn't this thread about improving XML format?

b) can emacs info reader use the XML format?

c) how much work will it be to make emacs info reader use XML?