Re: Info enhancements

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:25:04 -0600 (CST)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

   Same difference.  There's no need to do that, IMHO, so let's not.

   Really, the only positive outcome of this longish thread is the
   more-or-less widespread consensus that we should develop an XML-based
   reader.  Could we please drop the (IMHO futile) attempts to ``fix''
   the current Info readers by making them slicker than they were
   designed to be?

This thread concerns ten changes proposed by Juri in a patch (which I
personally applied, so I know more or less what it does).  This has
nothing to do with the move to XML, discussed in a variety of threads
unrelated to this one.  In this one we are discussing the ten changes
in Juri's patch.

Of these ten there is _one_ (the playing around with the arguments to
xref and with `Info-find-index-name', to determine where a reference
leads to) to which your last sentence indeed might apply.

The "subthread" you responded to is concerned with the "Info history
buffer" feature in Juri's patch, unrelated to the above feature.

Right now, we are trying to deal with an apparent problem that the
Elisp info reader has with similarly named references (it were really
references, not menu entries, I just got confused for a moment).  I do
not understand in what way your last sentence, quoted above, relates
to this problem, or to the way Juri was proposing to solve it.  There
would be other ways to solve the problem, if Juri's way were
objectionable.  But, your last sentence seems to imply that you
consider _all_ attempts to solve the problem futile and that they
should be dropped immediately.  Is this really what you mean?

Sincerely,

Luc.