Re: Info enhancements

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:53:22 -0500

Luc, thank you for the clear mail with examples.

    @xref{(elisp)Top}. @xref{(elisp)Top, Top}.

Hmm.  The documentation is not explicit about any assigned meaning for the
second arg to an xref, beyond being the "name of the Info reference",
which is to say, the thing before the first colon.
http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/Two-Arguments.html
(and preceding and following nodes).

I had always thought of it as an arbitrary string.

    the reference produced by address@hidden(elisp)Top, Top}.' leads to
    (experiment)Top in Emacs Info.  Is this a bug?

My opinion is yes, it is a bug.  This very example shows it is a
reasonable thing to do -- have references to Top nodes of different
manuals within one node.  In fact, I myself have written nodes that do that.

Thanks,