Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?
Date: 07 Dec 2003 19:10:20 -0500

> efficient for single processor machines.  Read the paper: "Flash: an
> Efficient and Portable Web Server".  The creators implement an event
> driven model for web serving and get significantly better performance
> than staple web servers like apache.  Even lightweight threads have

Note that there's a reason why Apache does not use an event-driven approach:
it's a lot more painful to write.  So comparing performance of X with Apache
is kind of like comparing the performance of sed with the performance of
Emacs.  Except that some people do try to make Apache faster (even though
it's not the main focus of development, far from it), whereas noone does
that for Emacs.

So I think if we want some kind of parallelism, the most important aspect
for Emacs would be convenience of elisp coding rather than efficiency.

        Stefan

PS: by the way, single-proc multithreading using an event-driven model
    can be done (and is done) in Emacs with the current code-base.
    It's just inconvenient and thus little used.