Re: set-char-table-range with charset arguments

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: set-char-table-range with charset arguments
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:17:58 -0600 (CST)

Ken'ichi Handa wrote:

   And, I've just noticed that the docstring says that RANGE
   may be a coding system, but the code doesn't handle it.  The
   only meaningful interpretation of RANGE being a coding
   system is to treat all characters supported by the coding
   system as target.  But, I think we don't have to support
   such a facility.  So, I suggest to delete that part from the
   docstring.

Actually the docstring of `set-char-table-range' says:

    Set the value in CHAR-TABLE for a range of characters RANGE to VALUE.
    RANGE should be t (for all characters), nil (for the default value)
    a vector which identifies a character set or a row of a character set,
    a coding system, or a character code.

Note that it not only wrongly mentions "coding system", but also fails
to mention "character set" (as such, that is, a symbol).  Maybe the
docstring should say:

Set the value in CHAR-TABLE for a range of characters RANGE to VALUE.
RANGE should be t (for all characters), nil (for the default value),
a character set, a vector which identifies a character set or a row of
a character set, or a character code.  Return VALUE.

Sincerely,

Luc.