Re: What's the problem?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What's the problem?
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:17:03 -0500

    I'm not sure why people keep talking about threading as some way to make
    emacs faster -- speed is not a major problem in general, and those
    places where it _is_ (e.g., gnus summary generation) don't seem easily
    parallizable.  As far as I can see, threads are desirable mostly because
    they allow the user to keep working while something's happening in the
    background (since typical emacs task are very non-cpu-intensive, the
    background task probably won't slow down appreciably either).

I basically agree; however, there is one other possible use for
multi-threading in Emacs.  This is for the sake of using multiple
terminals at once.  Right now, I think, only one terminal can
use the minibuffer.  Only one terminal can be running a command.
If each terminal had its own thread, they could do just about anything
in parallel.