Consolidation of image support (was Re: Emacs on MAC OS X 10.3)

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Consolidation of image support (was Re: Emacs on MAC OS X 10.3)
Date: 18 Dec 2003 01:53:20 +0100

Ted Lemon <address@hidden> writes:

> On Dec 17, 2003, at 4:56 AM, Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:
> > Sadly, there is no maintainer for the Aqua Emacs at the moment.
>
> I volunteered to do it, but what with all the savannah hassles, I
> think that's fallen into a black hole.   However, it's not really Aqua
> emacs - it's Carbon emacs.   There are a lot of stubs in the carbon
> module (macterm.c) that need to be filled in, and that might help out
> a bit, but it would be quite a challenge to make it work with X-style
> font names, because the font names in Carbon are the Mac font names,
> not the X font names.
>
> I'd actually like to add an experimental set of Aqua stubs, although
> given that the Carbon code is quite stable now and also works on MacOS
> 9, I don't think it's time to switch to Aqua yet.

Be aware that I plan (in the near future) to take out the image
support code from xfns.c, w32fns.c and macfns.c and consolidate it in
a new image.c file.

That should reduce 15000 lines of code to approx 5500 lines.

It seems that most of the image code in macfns.c isn't actually
used/ported yet, so it would be a good thing to consolidate the code
before finishing the image support for MAC.