Re: (elisp)Object Internals

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: (elisp)Object Internals
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 06:06:16 -0600 (CST)

Kim Storm wrote:

   When I see "Depending on..." in a text, I would expect to see various
   alternatives following that.  In this case there is nothing in the
   text that suggests it actually depends on anything...

I should have quoted the entire paragraph:

    GNU Emacs Lisp manipulates many different types of data.  The
    actual data are stored in a heap and the only access that programs
    have to it is through pointers.  Pointers are thirty-two bits wide
    in most implementations.  Depending on the operating system and
    type of machine for which you compile Emacs, twenty-eight bits are
    used to address the object, and the remaining four bits are used
    for a GC mark bit and the tag that identifies the object's type.

To me, that suggests that one thing it depends on is pointer size.

Sincerely,

Luc.