Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: emacs/src

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: emacs/src/regex.c]]
Date: 26 Dec 2003 01:19:51 +0100

Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 10:21:45PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > If symlinks are not the right thing to do, what is?  Checking out
> > regex.[ch] from their CVS and checking them into the Emacs CVS?  I
>
> Yes

Since there are _vital_ branch and release tagging information in the
old regex.[ch] files related to GNU emacs, it would be inadequate to
just commit the latest version of those files into the emacs
repository.

The only proper solution is to _copy_ the two ,v files directly (on
the CVS server) into the emacs repository, to preserve consistency &
history.

> > thought the links were used to avoid the need to resync the two
> > repositories manually; is there a better way to do that?
>
> That could be.  I don't know who set up those symlinks.  In our
> previous configuration it was possible.  Now, every project runs in a
> chroot.  Linking outside this chroot doesn't seem to be the right
> thing to do.
>
> I even doubt if it is possible.  If it is, I could be that this breaks
> (or could be exploited) the chroot environment.

I don't think it is worth it.  The symlinks were a hack whose time has
gone...