Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: emacs/src

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: emacs/src/regex.c]]
Date: 28 Dec 2003 08:10:00 +0200

> From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 17:06:21 -0500
>
> CLISP (http://clisp.cons.org) comes with regexp.[ch] of 1994.
> they are used only if the libc does not provide its own regexp.
> I wonder if Emacs could do the same, i.e., rely on the OS.

I'm not sure my memory isn't failing me, but there could be issues
with non-ASCII characters support in regexps, since Emacs has its own
internal representation of non-ASCII, perhaps different from the
system library's.

But I agree it's generally a good idea to allow for a system regex to
be used, especially if I'm wrong and the issue I mentioned doesn't
really exist.