Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: emacs/src

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: emacs/src/regex.c]]
Date: 28 Dec 2003 17:51:03 -0600

>     > 1. Do something to prohibit commits to these two files, in Emacs.
>     >
>     > 2. Have a cron job which copies the master files from gnulib to Emacs
>     > once per hour.
>
>     > Rudy, can this be done?
>
>     I can do (2), but have no idea how (1) can be done
>
> Does anyone know enough about CVS to tell us?

Tweaking the ownership/perms of the RCS ,v files will probably not
help, because CVS operates by copying and renaming.  Instead, we need
a line in CVSROOT/commitinfo, something like this:

   emacs/src   /path/to/specialized/protection-script.sh

(It starts at the beginning of the line, of course, I'm just indenting
for clarity here.)  Then 'protection-script.sh' would look like this:

   #!/bin/sh

   # The first argument is always the absolute path to the repository
   # subdir.  Shift past that to get to the individual files.
   shift

   for FNAME in $@; do
     if [ ${FNAME} = regex.c -o ${FNAME} = regex.h ]; then
       echo "Cannot commit to ${FNAME} in this repository."
       exit 1
     fi
   done

   exit 0