Re: Ok, I have had it. A proposal for wizards.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Ok, I have had it. A proposal for wizards.
Date: 02 Jan 2004 16:33:40 +0100

Danilo Segan <address@hidden> writes:

> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > Last time we discussed something similar, the overall consensus was
> > to call these ``saints'', not ``wizards''.
> >

> Just to point out that Gnome (GNU Desktop environment) is
> standardizing on "assistants" instead (mostly because everything
> else like 'druid', 'wizard' is hard to translate to other
> languages).
>
> Even though Emacs UI is not translated, if there's no any practical
> reason not to use the same terminology, I think 'assistant' would be
> a good choice.

Personally, I don't like "saint" since the predominant quality
associated with sainthood is not wisdom and/or teaching but
perseverance and faith, and this is exactly what the user will need
without assistance.  However, I'll be willing to let those assistants
be called shoplifters, easter bunnies or toll booths as long as
somebody implements them.

And for all I care, whoever implements them gets naming rights.  So
win your fight for the right name by beating everybody else in
implementing them, and I'll defend your choice of name with a
vengeance.