Re: Customize key bindings?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Customize key bindings?
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:11:07 +0100

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> The custom buffer could look like:
>
> [INS] [DEL] Key: <f5>...           [READ KEY]
>             Function: compile...
>
> Where the '<f5>...' and 'compile...' are the current string input
> fields, [INS]/[DEL] are the alist buttons, and [READ KEY] is a new
> button users can press that read a key interactively, much like C-h k
> or similar.  Advanced users can still enter the key binding using the
> string input field.
>
> There is one complication though -- imagine if the user wants to bind
> 'C-c x y z' to something, effectively creating sub-keymaps.  Should
> this be possible?  How?  I'm leaning towards not supporting it.  The
> problem is to find out when the key pressed by the user "ends".  It is
> easier to only allow the user to only add simple key bindings to
> existing keymaps.

When I read your description of the interface, I thought users were
supposed to hit [READ KEY], then type C-c, then [READ KEY], then x,
then [READ KEY], then y, and [READ KEY] and z, in order to bind the
key (sequence) C-c x y z.

So I was surprised that you thought that there is a problem with
multi-key sequences ;-)

Kai