Re: [CVS] regex.[ch] missing in CVS checkout

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: [CVS] regex.[ch] missing in CVS checkout
Date: 05 Jan 2004 12:44:48 +0100

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> > Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> > > What should be done is to copy $CVSROOT/gnulib/regex.[ch],v (and not
> > > $CVSROOT/gnulib/lib/regex.[ch],v) to $CVSROOT/emacs/src.
> > > Maybe moving them would work just as well, but copying is safer.

Note that Stefan actually says "moving" is ok.

That indicates to me that emacs is really the only package
using that specific version of regex.* -- which is also the
idea you get if you look at the revision log for the files.

So is the really any reason to keep those file in sync
between gnulib and emacs repositories -- or could we
just continue to maintain the files under the emacs
repository (where they were copied some time ago) ?

> > This got done a while ago... (just got back from vacation?)
> >
> > There was some talk about also adding a CVS hook to prevent
> > modifications, but I don't know if anything got done.
>
> In case this wasn't done, but someone with the requisite access wants
> to do it, a method was posted here:

I still don't see why this is necessary if emacs is the only
package using those files ... it must be possible to find out
if there are other packages using it (were there other symlinks
to them which have been broken?)

Maybe the original files could be made "read-only" using Karl's
code, in case we want to keep (an obsolete copy) of them in
gnulib.  IMO, it would probably be better just to cvs remove
them from the gnulib repository (provided emacs was the only
package using them).