Re: Fix for slow process output processing (please test).

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fix for slow process output processing (please test).
Date: 06 Jan 2004 00:44:13 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> > With the code below (provided by David some time ago), I see a big
> > difference on the Linux 2.4 kernel I'm using (Redhat 9.0).
> >
> > Maybe someone can try it (just do M-x make-test) with and without
> > adaptive buffering enabled on windows.
>
> I have tried running the code, but I'm not sure I understand this
> well enough to interpret the results. With adaptive buffering on, we
> get more 1024 byte blocks, but we get nothing for Time: 0 (which may
> be a symptom of the noticeable delay that was reported?), and we
> also have a Time: 9, which I think might mean it is taking longer
> overall. The numbers are all in at least the high hundreds for both
> tests, so maybe Windows is doing some buffering behind the scenes
> anyway.

What kind of machine do you have?  Single or double processor?  Is
the processor capable of hyperthreading?

Anyway, it would appear that the effect of adaptive buffering would be
rather negative (as witnessed by the initial large delay).  We should
certainly try to find out what causes this large delay because the
cause might be impacting Emacs in other areas as well.