Re: [CVS] regex.[ch] missing in CVS checkout

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [CVS] regex.[ch] missing in CVS checkout
Date: 05 Jan 2004 15:22:21 -0600

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> > > There was some talk about also adding a CVS hook to prevent
> > > modifications, but I don't know if anything got done.
>
> I still don't see why this is necessary if emacs is the only
> package using those files ... it must be possible to find out
> if there are other packages using it (were there other symlinks
> to them which have been broken?)

I think the idea was to prevent diverging changes?

That is, if these versions of regex.[ch] are truly frozen in the Emacs
repository, while their maintenance continues on separate copies in
another repository, then that's not too bad a situation.  But if
people start modifying them in the Emacs repository, in ways that
diverge from what's happening in their "master" repository, then we
have an accidental fork on our hands, and sorting it all out years
later can be a real hassle.

Thus, the hook's job would be to block any change to these files in
the Emacs repository, and print a warning that they should instead be
modified in their master repository (perhaps by branching from the
point where Emacs's frozen copies came from).  Emacs could be updated
periodically from the master repository, as appropriate.

I'm not advocating for or against this strategy, by the way, merely
trying to answer your question.

(Or there could be some totally different reason, that someone more
familiar with the situation can explain.)

-Karl