"coding" in file variable list not effective

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: "coding" in file variable list not effective
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:41:24 +0100

Hi all,

i have have a file that i am currently editing under osx (actually my .emacs) where i use the euro sign.
So i save it with iso-latin-9-mac (iso-8859-15) encoding.

To avoid typing the whole "C-x ret c iso-latin-9-mac C-x C-f filename" for further editing, i placed the setting "coding: iso-latin-9-mac" in my variable list at the end of file.

I found that it has no effect : M-x describe-current-coding-system shows that i am still in iso-latin-1 which is my default file coding system. But if I place the setting in the first line between the -*- marks, the coding is used accordingly.

Is it due to the fact that the variable list is placed at the end and therfore the file has already been parsed ?
Or should I send a report to gnu.emacs.bug (that didn't subscribed yet)?

Regards,
Sébastien Kirche