Re: eshell/pcomplete suggestion: indicator for completion cycling

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: eshell/pcomplete suggestion: indicator for completion cycling
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:24:26 +0100

>     I think that I might like completion cycling, as implemented by
>     default in eshell.
>
> What is "completion cycling"?

Let's say you have a directory with files foo1, foo2, and foo3.  Let's
say you type f and then hit the TAB key.  The default Emacs completion
behavior is to complete f to foo.  Then you hit TAB again and get a
list of all possible completions.

Cycling completions means that the first TAB, instead of completing f
to foo, inserts the first possible completion, foo1.  Hitting TAB
again replaces foo1 with foo2, and again replaces that with foo3, and
again goes back to foo1.

By default, TAB in eshell does the cycling thing if there are up to
five possible completions.  If there are more than five possible
completions, then it inserts substrings.

The problem should be obvious: if I don't know which files are in the
directory, then I don't know whether an insertion is a prefix of the
full filename or a full filename already.

Kai