Re: automatic anchors for definition commands.

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: automatic anchors for definition commands.
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:24:12 -0500

    This would mean a tremendous increase in the number of names defined
    for cross-referencing.  That could cause a slowdown in TeX, or even
    cause TeX to run out of memory.

A test with 2000 randomly-generated @anchors (the Elisp manual has about
1800 @def... cmds) ran fine, both for speed and space.

However, 5000 anchors overflows the string space in last year's TeX Live
distribution.  (This year's has bigger maximums, as do a few other
distributions I tried.)  None of the other various TeX capacities are a
problem, and speed isn't a problem either.

I think I could play with texinfo.tex and eliminate perhaps 1/3 of the
string space in common cases (by getting rid of empty -snt xrdef
values), if we want to pursue it.