Re: [patch] add interactive browse of revisions from vc *Annotate* buffe

From: Benjamin Rutt
Subject: Re: [patch] add interactive browse of revisions from vc *Annotate* buffers
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:58:59 -0500

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Benjamin Rutt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I wrote this patch because I wanted to be able to browse forward and
>> backwards to prev and next revisions from vc.el *Annotate* buffers.
>> That way, I can see which member of my work group is responsible for
>> entering a particular line of a CVS-controlled file (it's sometimes
>> not enough to just vc-annotate a buffer, since sometimes users
>> reformat or reindent lines of source code that they didn't originally
>> write).  This patch allows you, from a vc-annotate-mode buffer, to
>> press C-c C-p to go to the previous revision and C-c C-n to go to the
>> next revision.  It's currently only implemented for CVS, since
>> vc-annotate is only implemented for CVS anyway.
>
> That is a very good feature indeed.  Thanks!
>
> However, I would like an extension to this feature so that
>         C-u C-c C-p
> would pick up the revision from the current line of the annotate
> buffer and annotate the previous revision to that revision, rather
> than the revision of the work file as such.
>
> This would make it easier to backtrack a specific change in case there
> are many (unrelated) revision in the file.

I'd like to implement your idea, however I want to make sure I
understand it completely.  Here's an example.  Let's say you have file
foo.c, at revision 1.24, and here's the result from C-x v g when
visiting foo.c:

Annotations for foo.c
***************
1.1          (rutt     07-Apr-03): int main ()
1.3          (rutt     07-Apr-03): {
1.24         (rutt     07-Apr-03):     return 0;
1.1          (rutt     07-Apr-03): }

and let's say the cursor is on the line where revision 1.3 is at.  Are
you saying you'd like a function to warp you instantly back to 1.3,
instead of having to go back iteratively through 1.23, 1.22, 1.21,
..., 1.4, 1.3?  If this isn't your idea, could you give an example of
what your idea is?  Thanks,
--
Benjamin