Re: address@hidden: Re: compose key on SUN keyboard creates 2 characters

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: compose key on SUN keyboard creates 2 characters (and beeps)]
Date: 12 Jan 2004 15:25:58 +0100

     Jan> I would expect chars_matched to be set to 0 when a complete character
    Jan> has been composed.  But this may not be so, it all depends on what Sun
    Jan> has done.

I checked (on Solaris 5.8) and it is 3 after the 3rd key press.

    Jan> Compose processing works with XIM/XIC, so XLookupString is never
    Jan> called.  But if you turn XIM off (emacs --xrm '*useXIM: false') it
    Jan> does not work.  Nor can it be made to work in Emacs, since the code
    Jan> in XLookupString that did compose processing has been conditionalized
    Jan> out in XFree86.  The compose_status parameter is never modifyed by
    Jan> XLookupString by XFree86.  It sounds as if Sun is doing something
    Jan> else, I'll try to figure out what when I can get my hand on a Solaris
    Jan> machine.
    Jan> But is there a reason why XIM is not enabled for you?

I have no idea. I only know that XIM exists. I just checked config.h and
there's HAVE_XIM and USE_XIM both set to 1. So in theory it should be there.
What should I check?

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             address@hidden  |
---
If you don't have the time to do it right, where
are you going to find the time to do it over?