Re: [patch] add interactive browse of revisions from vc *Annotate* buffe

From: Benjamin Rutt
Subject: Re: [patch] add interactive browse of revisions from vc *Annotate* buffers
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:20:52 -0500

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Benjamin Rutt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> and let's say the cursor is on the line where revision 1.3 is at.  Are
>> you saying you'd like a function to warp you instantly back to 1.3,
>> instead of having to go back iteratively through 1.23, 1.22, 1.21,
>> ..., 1.4, 1.3?  If this isn't your idea, could you give an example of
>> what your idea is?  Thanks,
>
> Actually, I was thinking about going back to 1.2 -- i.e. to see when
> the _previous_ change to that line happened (unless it's new in 1.3
> of course).

I think that's certainly possible.  What I'm thinking now is the
following:  if there's a prefix argument to the function
vc-annotate-prev-version, alter behavior in the following manner:

1) if the prefix argument is numeric, go backwards that many versions
   if possible

2) otherwise, go to the revision prior to the revision of the current
   line (what Kim Storm was asking for).  The "revision of the current
   line" extractor will have to be made generic through a backend,
   since there's no guarantee that the *Annotate* buffer will have the
   version number at the beginning of the line followed by whitespace,
   although that's true for CVS at the moment.

As far as your comment "(unless it's new in 1.3 of course)" above, I
think I'll just leave it up to the user recognize when that happens,
and trust them to go forwards in time one revision at that time.

I also think I'd like to add a keybinding such that pressing RET in
any of the *Annotate* buffer lines which contain a revision number
simply does "annotate the revision mentioned on this line".
--
Benjamin