Re: [patch] add interactive browse of revisions from vc *Annotate* buffe

From: Benjamin Rutt
Subject: Re: [patch] add interactive browse of revisions from vc *Annotate* buffers
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:35:53 -0500

Andre Spiegel <address@hidden> writes:

> I like the features you (Benjamin) are suggesting but the keybindings
> seem a bit problematic to me.  Since those features would be very
> important in VC Annotate, I wonder if you couldn't use simpler
> bindings.  Ideally, I'd put the annotate buffer in view mode and use "p"
> and "n" for previous and next, but these are already bound to
> View-search-last-regexp-backward/forward.  Do people think it's
> justified to replace that binding in vc-annotate-mode?  I would think
> the relative importance justifies it.  To annotate from the revision
> _before_ the one on the current line (which I feel is the most important
> of those new features), "f" could be used (similar to Dired), without
> any clash in view mode.

I'm not a view-mode user, so I can't give my opinion on how I'd feel
about those bindings being clobbered, but I do agree that simpler key
bindings will be better.  Also, if we don't do something like derive
annotate-mode from view-mode, we should at least make the annotate
buffer read-only once it is built.

I like the idea of moving the "annotate the revision _before_ the one
on the current line" command away from being just invokable via a
prefix modifier of another command, to being a first-class citizen in
itself, invokable directly.

I don't care what actual keys are used myself, I'll let some others
give their opinions on that.  I wouldn't have a problem with using
"p", "n" and "f" as you've described above.
--
Benjamin