Processing Chinese Big5 in Emacs Info reader

From: Chun-Chieh Huang
Subject: Processing Chinese Big5 in Emacs Info reader
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 13:23:51 +0800

Dear all,

I don't know current policy of FSF for supporting Chinese Big5 in its
Info/Texinfo utilities. But I did a quick fix to read Chinese Big5 in
Emacs Info reader. BTW, if I converted my texinfo files to Info by
texinfo-format-buffer command in Texinfo-mode, I can process Chinese
Big5 too. Makeinfo, however, can't process Chinese Big5 correctly. So
maybe the Chinese translation team in FSF can use Emacs to process
Texinfo and Info.

I only changed one line in info.el to support Big5 Info reading in
Emacs, as below: (info.el from CVS)

address@hidden lisp]$ diff info.el.~1.376.~ info.el
343c343,344
<               (coding-system-for-write 'no-conversion)
---
> ;;            (coding-system-for-write 'no-conversion)
>               (coding-system-for-write 'buffer-file-coding-system)

But I only test it on my GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mandrake-linux-gnu, X
toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2003-08-27 on ke.mandrakesoft.com,
modified by Mandrake. It works fine. Finally, I can edit some Texinfo
files and convert them into Info, and read it in Emacs. Usually the
Chinese Big5 users would change buffer-file-coding-system to
chinese-big5, so this is a quick fix only. :-)

Chun-Chieh
--
Chun-Chieh Huang, aka Albert    E-mail: jjhuang AT cm.nctu.edu.tw
黃俊傑