Re: Improving the gtk2 port

From: Pierre Chanial
Subject: Re: Improving the gtk2 port
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:31:54 -0500

Kim F. Storm wrote:
Pierre Chanial <address@hidden> writes:
- on the content area, even outside of the text, the mouse cursor
should not be an arrow but a |--| rotated 90°
This was changed recently (to show the arrow in non-text areas).

Besides my personal preference for this behaviour, a major reason
for this change was that many other applications behave like that
-- including Mozilla 1.2.1 (the one I'm using).

but mozilla behaves like that only in non editable content. Text areas and compose windows don't show an arrow outside of the text. Which applications are you referring to? LyX, openoffice (not a good example of integration), gedit and also gtk2 single and multi lines text areas behave like moz.

When (and why) did Mozilla change that ?
That's too old :) I'd point you to try out 1.6 or Mozilla Firebird, lot of performance stuff has been achieved. I'd guess the reason is that in non editable content, mouse pointer changes notify the user he/she can or can not select the text.

But even if I found distracting the change of the mouse cursor in emacs, that's still a fairly minor issue, maybe because I rarely use the mouse.