Re: savannah cvs checkout from behind a firewall

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: savannah cvs checkout from behind a firewall
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:34:52 +0530

Hi,
 I have the same problem. I am following the method suggested below but
 use "connect.exe" instead of "proxyfwd". This works for me. This can be
 found at:

*   Recent version of 'connect.c' is available from
*     http://www.imasy.or.jp/~gotoh/ssh/connect.c
*
*   Pre-compiled biniary for Win32 is also available:
*     http://www.imasy.or.jp/~gotoh/ssh/connect.exe.gz

 This was suggested by my collegue Norbert, who is the XEmacs package
 maintainer.

Another [BAD] way [which I have stopped] if you have access to GNU Emacs
ViewCVS frontend:
 I have written a PERL script which downloads files using the ViewCVS
 front end using "wget" internally. It does an update on repeated calls
 just like you would expect from "cvs update".
The main drawback is that it will make as many connections as there are
files (for 100 files, it will make 100 new connections as I call "wget"
on each file). This could easily lead to a DOS attack.
If someone can help me to open 1 connection and send "wget" requests
through, this would be a nice tool.
 I was using this unknowingly and stopped using it when I was informed
 that the pattern of requests made was aimilar to DOS attack. Let me know
 if you need this script. But please fix (send me the fix too) the DOS
 attack issue before you use it.

with best regards,
dhruva

On 20 Jan 2004 11:19:47 +0900, "Miles Bader" <address@hidden> said:
> Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
> > > Given my http firewall/proxy ip address and port, where/how can i specify
> > > those to cvs ?
> >
> > What are the options you have to pass to ssh to use your proxy?
>
> FWIW, I currently use something like this (in my .ssh/config file):
>
>    Host *.gnu.org
>    ProxyCommand proxyfwd vproxy.edc.nec.co.jp 8080 %h %p
>    Port 443
>
> [`proxyfwd' is a little C program I wrote that talks to an http proxy]

Dhruva Krishnamurthy
http://schemer.fateback.com/
General:address@hidden
GNU/FSF:address@hidden