Re: Improving the gtk2 port

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Improving the gtk2 port
Date: 20 Jan 2004 11:57:55 +0100

Pierre Chanial <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim F. Storm wrote:
> > Pierre Chanial <address@hidden> writes:
> >>- on the content area, even outside of the text, the mouse cursor
> >>  should not be an arrow but a |--| rotated 90°
> > This was changed recently (to show the arrow in non-text areas).
> > Besides my personal preference for this behaviour, a major reason
> > for this change was that many other applications behave like that
> > -- including Mozilla 1.2.1 (the one I'm using).
>
> but mozilla behaves like that only in non editable content. Text areas
> and compose windows don't show an arrow outside of the text.
> Which applications are you referring to? LyX, openoffice (not a good
> example of integration), gedit and also gtk2 single and multi lines
> text areas behave like moz.

So for emacs to be consistent with e.g. moz, the cursor outside
text-areas should change to an arrow in read-only buffers, but not in
editable buffers.

> I'd guess the reason is that in non editable content, mouse pointer
> changes notify the user he/she can or can not select the text.

Exactly!  The change in pointer shape clearly indicate whether there
is any selectable text below the pointer.  That is equally important
in editable and non-editable buffers.

> But even if I found distracting the change of the mouse cursor in
> emacs, that's still a fairly minor issue, maybe because I rarely use
> the mouse.

You can get the behaviour you want with

        (setq void-text-area-pointer nil)