Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.
Date: 20 Jan 2004 15:43:21 -0500

>>> Dropping a file name on the menu bar currently opens the file in a new
>>> window.  I think that is useful (i.e. I use it all the time :-)
>> It might be useful, but I'd find it confusing.
> It is how it works on most applications, and indeed in Emacs when running
> on W32 (at least it did a couple of years ago, when I ran Emacs on W32).

It's not the "open the file" that I find confusing.  It's the "on the menu
bar".  I'd rather reject the drop in that case.

> other function obviously :-).  I find it harder to explain to a user why
> a drop on the tool bar and the menu bar is not acceptable to open a file.
> If we do that, I think we will get bug reports on it.

That's possible: I don't claim to be representative.

>>> If dropping text onto File, the user might reasonable expect the text
>>> to be pasted into window 1, because it is closest.  Dropping on Tools
>>> can be expected to paste the text into window 3.
>>
>> For me that would spell more confusion.
>> I'd much rather drop directly into the window or maybe the modeline (in
>> case you want the "drop into window" to insert the file's path instead).

> Yes of course.  But then we are back to the question, shall we reject
> the drop in this case, or accept it.  It sounds like you want to reject
> it in this case, which is what I tried to do initially.

I don't understand what you're referring to.  From my point of view, we
could just look up [menu-bar dnd-drop] and/or [mode-line dnd-drop] to see
whether to accept (and how to process) the drop event.

        Stefan