Re: Change behaviour of Copy/Cut/Paste from the menu bar.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Change behaviour of Copy/Cut/Paste from the menu bar.
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:32:29 +0100

Jan D. wrote:

Now, if menu-bar-enable-clipboard is called we are almost there,
except for the Paste thing.  Emacs always pastes from the kill ring,
even if there is a CLIPBOARD selection.  So I suggest that we modify
lisp/term/x-term.el as below.  My question is if this is OK, and how
does the other ports (W32, Mac) handle Paste from the menu?  Is it
always from the clipboard, or from the kill-ring?

On W32, x-select-enable-clipboard defaults to t. There is no seperate SELECTION on Windows, so this gives the behavior users expect. It means we always paste from the clipboard unless Emacs is the clipboard owner, in which case we use the kill-ring to avoid clobbering Mule characters (code to handle this is in w32select.c).

Thanks. Unfortunately we can not just set x-select-enable-clipboard to t, it would mean that just marking text with the mouse goes to the CLIPBOARD.
Sounds like the behaviour wanted by the freedesktop.org is designed
to be W32 compatible.

        Jan D.