Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:02:58 +0100

Dropping a file name on the menu bar currently opens the file in a new
window.  I think that is useful (i.e. I use it all the time :-)

    It might be useful, but I'd find it confusing.

Here's a bizarre idea.  If you bring up a menu and drop a file on a
menu item, the chosen command operates on that file name as argument.

Yes, that would make sense, but it seems difficult to do: when the menu
item is displayed, the mouse is typically grabbed by Emacs, and similarly when drag&dropping, the mouse is grabbed the other application, so there's
a problem.

Yes you are right, a drop from one application on to a menu item in
another application can never occur in X.

        Jan D.