Re: EMACS and valgrind

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: EMACS and valgrind
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:07:44 +0000

 > Now, I have no idea whether the problem you se without USE_LSB_TAG is due to
 > the fact that valgrind uses a malloc implementation that returns pointers
 > whose value is larger than 2^29, but it seemed like a possible cause.

 It looks like USE_LSB_TAG has moved the problem from a lisp one to one of
 memory allocation. As Eli has said earlier, the valgrind team have noted that
 memory debugging doesn't work with Emacs:

doc> Programs which are known not to work are:

doc>    * emacs starts up but immediately concludes it is out of memory and
doc>    aborts. Emacs has it's own memory-management scheme, but I don't
doc>    understand why this should interact so badly with Valgrind. Emacs
doc>    works fine if you build it to use the standard malloc/free routines.

So I guess its not a simple problem.

Nick