Re: sendmail.el bug or expected behavior?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: sendmail.el bug or expected behavior?
Date: 26 Jan 2004 15:47:28 -0500

>> I see Ian's part of the discussion as just saying "we should always use
>> mail-interactive and set sendmail's arguments to queuing".  Sounds like
>> a good solution to me.

> I missed the conclusion, sorry.  Does all MTAs support that option?
> Doesn't this require that the system is running a queue poll every now
> and then?

Reread what Ian wrote: setting the args to "put in the queue" does not mean
that it will necessarily put the mail in the queue: if there's no queue, it
will deliver immediately to the mail hub (i.e. do-the-right-thing).

Basically the arg just means "place this mail in some MTA queue somewhere,
and do it fast".  If you're running with a local daemon (i.e. a local
queue), it'll put it there, otherwise it'll put it in your mail-hub's queue.

This is how mailers are meant to be used, so if it doesn't work it's not an
Emacs problem but a local config problem (that will impact other MUAs as
well).

        Stefan