Re: sendmail.el bug or expected behavior?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: sendmail.el bug or expected behavior?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:50:28 -0500

    I think all of these cases can be detected, without negatively
    affecting proper operation, by using start-process instead of
    call-process with BUFFER=0.

I expect that would be slower in the usual case, and I don't want to
pay such a price.

      The code would spawn the process, poll
    the process for, e.g., 1 second, and if it is still running, continue.

    (setq foo (start-process ...))
    (sit-for 1)

A one-second delay is absolutely unacceptable.

If you can implement this method without any appreciable slowdown,
then I have no objection to switching to it.