Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar
Date: 28 Jan 2004 09:30:30 -0500

> 1) next-error does not support the occur mode, which was what started
>    the discussion in the firts place.  I tried to fix this with
>    minimum changes to the Emacs sources.

Minimizing the amount of changes is a worthy goal but it should not take
precedence over the goals of: - consistent behavior - maintainability What
this means is that it would be better to integrate the support for occur and
the support for grep and compile rather than add a layer on top of the
support for grep and compile.  That doesn't mean it has to be 100%
integration, but `next-error' could pay attention to a variable like
`compile-error-forward-function' or something like that which occur-mode
could set buffer-locally.  The idea is to keep as much of the code together:
at least the code that selects and displays the relevant buffer should
be shared, IMO.

> 2) next-error is IMHO a bad name for a function that finds the next
>    match in grep mode, and the next occurrence in occur mode.

That's probably tru.  If you can come up with a better name, maybe we
can change it.  I don't find dwim-next to be much btter.

        Stefan