Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Add M-x occur to the menu-bar
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:46:37 -0500

On 28 Jan 2004, address@hidden wrote:

>> 1) next-error does not support the occur mode, which was what
>>    started the discussion in the firts place.  I tried to fix this
>>    with minimum changes to the Emacs sources.
>
> Minimizing the amount of changes is a worthy goal but it should not
> take precedence over the goals of: - consistent behavior -
> maintainability What this means is that it would be better to
> integrate the support for occur and the support for grep and compile
> rather than add a layer on top of the support for grep and compile.
> That doesn't mean it has to be 100% integration, but `next-error'
> could pay attention to a variable like
> `compile-error-forward-function' or something like that which
> occur-mode could set buffer-locally.  The idea is to keep as much of
> the code together: at least the code that selects and displays the
> relevant buffer should be shared, IMO.

I'm OK with all this, and I can make a patch to next-error and to
occur to implement these changes.

>> 2) next-error is IMHO a bad name for a function that finds the next
>>    match in grep mode, and the next occurrence in occur mode.
>
> That's probably tru.  If you can come up with a better name, maybe
> we can change it.  I don't find dwim-next to be much btter.

I would just defalias, since we're patching next-error anyhow.  Some
names I thought of:

(additive)
next-error-or-occurrence (hard to spell)
next-error-or-occur (but what if other modes are added?)
next-error-or-spot

(different altogether)
next-instance
next-place