GNU Emacs: Client/Server

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: GNU Emacs: Client/Server
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:42:59 +0530

Hello,
 The fact that "emacsclient" does not build on MS Windows platform
 (correct me if I am wrong), we end up depending on "gnuserv"
 functionality. This is *NOT* part of distribution and therefore makes it
 difficult to keep update with changes in "gnuserv" (if there are any,
 recently).

 I was toying with the idea of making the GNU Emacs behave as a client or
 server through command line options or Elisp functions.

(On Microsoft Platform on which I work)
For server:
- Create a server thread which will use some IPC (mail slots or named
pipes kernel object) through which Elist expressions can be exchanged
which can be evaluated by the server

For client:
- Make sure the end point for IPC exists
- Dispatch commands to the IPC channel to communicate with server

Using Kernel objects, we can ensure that only 1 server is running on the
computer.

Could we use the above approach and do away with the gnuserv/emacsclient
dependency?

with best regards,
dhruva
Dhruva Krishnamurthy