Re: GNU Emacs: Client/Server

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs: Client/Server
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:03:49 +0100

Hello,
 The fact that "emacsclient" does not build on MS Windows platform
 (correct me if I am wrong), we end up depending on "gnuserv"
functionality. This is *NOT* part of distribution and therefore makes it
 difficult to keep update with changes in "gnuserv" (if there are any,
 recently).

I was toying with the idea of making the GNU Emacs behave as a client or
 server through command line options or Elisp functions.

Are you proposing something like mozilla or xmms?  Where
% mozilla -remote ...

will connect to an already running mozilla process and send the command
to that process.  Or like xmms (a music player), where
% xmms file

will start playing file on an already running xmms process if one exists.

Kind of integrating emacsclient in the emacs binary so that
% emacs -remote ...
is basically the same as
% emacsclient ...

        Jan D.