Re: process.c changes causes problem with JDEbug of the JDE package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: process.c changes causes problem with JDEbug of the JDE package
Date: 30 Jan 2004 09:54:13 -0500

> If there is a bug there, we should definitely try to fix it.

I think there's clearly a bug.  It might be in JDE, tho.

> However, conceptually, it is fully acceptable to let-bind
> process-adaptive-read-buffering to nil around the call to
> start-process for specific purposes.

My understanding is that your code is only an optimization (or sometimes
pessimization, but hopefully less often ;-), so unless there's a race
condition or some tight timing constraints, it should not affect
the result.  It might be OK to bind it to nil for optimization purposes
(when you know your process will generate large chunks of data anyway, for
example), but not for correctness purposes.

        Stefan