Re: make bootstrap fails.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: make bootstrap fails.
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:51:00 -0600 (CST)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   The SUSv3 does not list CDPATH as a variable that might affect the behavior
   of /bin/sh, so I think it should be considered as a bug in bash (we'll
   still need to work around it, but it should be reported to the bash
   maintainers and/or to the distributions that use bash as /bin/sh).

   Of course, someone should check that bash invoked as /bin/sh indeed
   mistakenly obeys an inherited CDPATH envvar, but the reports here lead me
   to believe this is the case.

I could give actual examples of bash invoked as sh obeying an
inherited CDPATH, but let me first make sure that I understand you.
Are you saying that sh should completely ignore CDPATH?  That would be
strange, because, for instance, the Solaris 8 version of sh treats
CDPATH exactly like Bash invoked as sh does, and `(bash)Bourne Shell
Variables' explicitly lists CDPATH as a variable taken over from the
Bourne shell.  Moreover, other Makefiles, for instance the texinfo-4.6
Makefile use their own CDPATH (they do not just unset CDPATH) even
though they use /bin/sh.

Sincerely,

Luc.